Sunday 16 September 2012

Ship Ahoy.


OMG! Where the hell to start?
How about yesterday then…I was due to run nine miles yesterday morning. I managed six. I managed six and felt guilty and shite and just damn right rubbish. In exactly four weeks time I have to more than double that! MORE THAN!
Now, without desperately trying to justify my lack of commitment yesterday, I’d like to offer a few explanations to with I epically failed.
Firstly; I didn’t want to run. My heart or my head wasn’t in going anywhere yesterday. I wanted to stay in bed, I wanted to write the novel and I wanted to cwtch my husband. I should have gone with the gut feeling and not even bothered putting my trainers on because the guilt of not doing the nine miles is far worse than running a lousy six.  
Secondly; I was going out yesterday afternoon. I had to be in the Baili at twelve and my first drink was on my mind. That first drink and whether my head was still going to be ridiculously red.
Thirdly; I didn’t want to run!
Anyway, I left the warmth of my abode and headed for the hill! Twyn hill that is.
And like I’ve said when I hit the six mark I stopped and that was that.
‘It’s OK.’ Scotty Boy said as I panted and chastised myself. ‘You’ve got four weeks.’
I felt sick.
Four weeks. That’s twenty eight days. TWENTY EIGHT DAYS! My hoop is literally talking to me as I process this.
I practically necked my first drink blaming ‘panic.’ I just rushed my second drink out of greed and that’s pretty much how the entire day panned out.
I was in Brecon yesterday. Food at the George hotel and then the afternoon on a barge dressed as a sailor! Yes, ship ahoy indeed!
I’m told we were in Brecon rugby club after the boat but I’ll just have to take my butties word on that!
It’s the Great North run today which I’ve had a peek at. (Quite apt really as my Cardiff Half marathon pack came through the door yesterday. Eeek!)I was hoping to be somewhat inspired but instead I actually feel like shitting myself. Yes; Shitting myself! It’s also made me panic about my timing. It turns out I don’t really run…I jog! Which I suppose is still OK but I think I need to change gear a little bit. Watch this space.
It’s also made me cry. There are some really inspirational stories being told by the runner. Like the girl who finished her last bout of chemotherapy on Thursday and is doing a 13.1 mile run on the Sunday! Wow! And the boy who’s got a fridge on his back; if that’s not dedication I don’t know what is.  I’ve become considerably emotional over the past few weeks anyway so nice stories are just a bit of an excuse.   I blame the considerable amount of hormone nonsense I’ve had rammed into me to.
Talking about emotion and nonsense I received the phone call yesterday to confirm that I will be on BBC Radio Wales on the 25th to talk about MTV’s latest show The Valleys! I loves it! Can’t wait!
I think I’ll also be doing future stuff with regard to the training/Blog/running; so, lots to look forward to, along with becoming an international bestseller! One can only dream!
Happy 30th Blog anniversary to Keep On Running today! It all started thirty posts ago…Oh how time flies.
So, I have completely scrapped the plan and put a new one in place. It goes like this; just bloody run and keep running. Stop worrying about mileage and timing and run.
I’m not going to bother with rest days either. Obviously, I will have the odd day off but only if I’m not feeling up to running. What I am determined to do is remove any type of pressure and get back to enjoying what I’m doing. Running, writing, laughing, eating…NO pressure, No panicking!
So there we go.
Happy Sunday Readers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment