Wednesday 17 October 2012

this is not quite goodbye but it is the end!


Keep On Running.
The finale.

So, if you haven’t already heard…I RAN THE CARDIFF HALF MARATHON!! I did, I bloody did it.
Who’d have thought, ey? The chubby kid did good. She did two hours and fifteen minutes good and I’m yet to come down of cloud thirteen point one.
Where to begin?
If I begin at the beginning I will have missed out a bit so I’ll start from the moment my eyes pinged wide open at ridiculous o clock. Nerves, excitement and the quaffed Chinese and cheesecake combination had me ready for action approximately two hours before my alarm was due to go off.
And then as sods law goes I dropped back off into a lovely slumber five minutes before the damn thing hooted that it was the morning of the Cardiff half marathon and I’d have to get my twitching arse up out of bed.
It is safe to say I spent a frantic half hour preparing for battle…you know the score; Vaseline, more Vaseline and surprise surprise more Vaseline!
Now if I mention that it was ‘cold’ on Sunday morning I’d be telling a lie. It was effin freezing. Literally. The car windscreen was coated in what looked like a good two inches of frost. Of course it was only a slither really but I was playing the role of drama queen down to a T.
‘I’m doomed.’ I had wailed, swaying in the darkness of a Sunday morning.
‘Your fine.’ Scotty Boy assured me flinging warm water over Jesus’s windscreen. And true to his word I was, the car was, everything was, just fine.
Scotty Boy then dropped me off at Junior Mee’s, that’s Antony by the way. Remember Antony? The one who emailed me whilst I was under the influence of Mexico’s finest cocktails; ‘Yes, I’ll join a running tem, that sounds fun…hiccup.’
Antony and Geraint (designated driver) were waiting and as soon as I said goodbye to Scotty Boy who reassured that everything was going to be fine once again, and we made our way to collect Gavin. Good old Gavin!
I don’t remember much about the trip to the city only the child lock palaver and the M people conversation which I won’t go into now for sanity reasons above all else.  
I don’t know what was more traumatising when we got to the runners village, using the portaloo, seeing the other eighteen thousand runners or having to take my jacket off. Seriously, it was freezing.  I was pretty much blue as we made our way through various shapes and sizes towards the castle for the national anthem and the start of the 2012 Cardiff half marathon.
Gavin actually said the words ‘turkey drummer’ when I held my arm out.
And then before I knew it, before I had time to realise what I’d potentially got myself into, we were off, just like that. I was embarking on thirteen miles in the city for my first half marathon.
I took the run at my own pace, after loosing Geraint in the first fifteen seconds and then loosing Gav and Antony around about mile two.  This meant I lost my team pretty much straight away and I realised I’d made a vital mistake by not having my headphones within the first two miles, I also realised my phone and everything else I’d brought with me was in Antony’s bag and if I didn’t find my team I’d be lost in the city for the rest of my life! Back to the lack of headphone malarkey; there’s something quite off putting hearing people pant and splutter around you whilst your concentrating on not falling over, not bumping into people and how cold it was, but I suppose it was all a bit of a learning curve and from now on I will have my Ipod or MP3 player on me ALWAYS!
The route was lovely. That’s all I can say on it. There were a few inclines scattered throughout but all in the entire ‘thing’ was very pleasant and I’ll be brutally honest, I didn’t find it all that taxing. In fact, I had another two miles in me for sure.
Like I said; I didn’t push myself, I wasn’t sauntering by any means but I took it nice and easy. I overtook the man wearing a boat and the man with the ironing board on his back so I was quite pleased on that front.
I have to give the girl who had ‘Eye of the Tiger’ screaming from her window as I passed a massive shout out! You made me very happy not to mention a little faster.
I do have to mention that I now hate Roath Park. It’s boring and never ending and there’s a bloody hill at the end of it! I’m even considering getting a T-shirt that reads; ‘I hate Roath Park.’ We’ll see.  
Finishing was amazing. The crowds, the atmosphere, absolutely everything was brilliant and I cannot wait to do it all again next year. In fact, myself and my team will be doing another one in March. Yes, we are undertaking a brand new half marathon in Newport! I believe we have created a monster but it was nice for morale to share it with the boys and I’d like to say a massive thank you to the three of them. It was fun.
(We’ve got a ballot system thing on the go now for anyone who wants to join our little running team! So, if we’ve inspired you to run; piss off!)  (That’s a joke by the way.)
After the run things went down rapidly. Scotty ‘I know all the back roads of Cardiff’ got a £70 parking ticket and then got lost trying to get out of the city, then the cheeky shit of a boy, whilst ironing his shirt, actually muttered; ‘God, my legs are stiff, must be because I stood in the same place for two hours.’ My reply consisted of words that are probably not appropriate for the blog!
I had just run thirteen miles and he was complaining about his legs being stiff! Nice one Scotty Boy!
So, this is it for the blog. The finale, the end of the road. I kept on running and got exactly where I wanted to be.
I’d like to thank absolutely every single reader, every single mutter of encouragement I’ve had and in general thank the entire universe for making me shape up and ship out onto the pavement.
Now, like I’ve said it’s the finale to ‘Keep on Running’ but it’s the start for ‘Run to the Hills!’ so keep tuned butties and for Christ sake KEEP ON RUNNING!

Love

Hannah 



Also its not too late to donate now i've completed the run! 


No comments:

Post a Comment